We all know that moving is one of the top stressors. Your common sense will go a long way in looking for your next home and avoiding online rental scams.
Here is our Top 10 list for Renters:
- Make sure you are utilizing well known sites. For example, Zillow, Hotpads, Trulia.
- If you find a property you like, click through to the Company and see what other homes they may be offering. You might find something that wasn’t posted yet that could be perfect!
- Call the company or even stop by the office is you can. Calling or making an in-person appearance can often lead to homes that may be coming soon.
- Start looking about 45 days before you need to move. Any more than that will result in properties that are likely ready for immediate occupancy. No one wants to pay double rent if it can be avoided.
- Consider when you are looking, most renters give notice at the very end of the month, meaning that the property manager will post ads the first week of the month.
- Drive the neighborhoods you are interested in. Often you will find For Rent signs that maybe do not advertise online.
- If you find a home you like, apply! It is likely a first come first serve approval process. You don’t want to miss out especially in the current rental market!
- Never send money without meeting someone or viewing the property.
- If you come across a scam on craigslist- FLAG it! Report it! Scams often have mismatched photos, weird fonts and/or the scammer will reply to you with unnecessary detail about themselves. They will ask you to wire money. Don’t!
- Lastly, if you find an ad online that looks too good to be true, it probably is.
When in doubt, ask the BBB or a professional management company!