Congrats you have been accepted to college! Time to think about renting near SDSU. You didn’t take a class in high school called Renting 101? Not sure where to start? We can help!
Here are some things to consider for incoming SDSU students looking for housing:
- Plan a visit– drive around and determine which areas for what you enjoy.
- Transportation– The college area is great if you don’t have a car. If you do have a car, it might be cheaper to go a little further out. Check out these blogs for other areas.
- Determine how much you can afford? Are you getting roommates? Don’t forget about utilities. Rent has been on the rise and doesn’t look to be slowing. It used to be cheaper to rent a house than live in the dorms. Today, you really need to consider the two and what each provides.
- Pick your roommates wisely. Read more here: https://fbs-pm.com/2021/10/07/joint-and-severally-liable/
- Make sure you are ready to apply. Do you have your paystubs ready? How is your credit? Are you getting assistance from SDSU for rent? Do you have a cosigner is required?
- The time of year matters. Most Property management companies stagger their rentals to be available from May- Aug. You guessed it, because of the school year.
- Read the lease– Always read your entire lease. You may very well find your assumptions of how the terms of a lease agreement works is not true. The lease is what guides both parties.
- If you decide to move away during summer break, are you allowed to sublet your room for two months?
- Are you allowed to add roommates to your lease?
- Pet policies?
- Always get renter insurance
- Renting from an owner vs a property manager can be a very different experience. A property manager will be stricter, but more lawful. A private owner will likely be easier going about things but may also not follow laws to a tee.
- This is an important life decision. Understand the significance of renting your first place. This can affect your credit for a long time. How you leave the home can result in potential collections or small claims action. Be a good resident and over communicate!
With our close proximity FBS is the College Area Property Management Company of choice.
FBS Property Management, AMO is an award-winning management company celebrating 50 years of continuous property management operations throughout San Diego County. Our unique market niche was designed for thoughtful and strategic independent real estate owners.
As committed housing providers, we take great pride in helping residents find their next home!